Sunday, February 05, 2006

Lowest valued stock ever to split

After soul searching I have determined that my web log UKEBOX could stand to be a little more specifically about the 'ukulele, my favorite instrument to play, and my other musical interests. I'm happy to start this new log, Reprehensible Tales, as a place where I might freely explore other topics. In so doing I can allow UKEBOX to more specifically serve 'ukulele enthusiasts and other music lovers. In the next few weeks I'll be moving past postings from UKEBOX over here if they seem unlikely to interest 'ukulele fans.

The music I play on 'ukulele has frequently had a similar effect of sending 'ukulele fans away in confusion, wondering why it didn't float their boat (or formulating reasons). I wonder how many people who would have liked the music never got as far as listening because the word 'ukulele put them off. One great man, who shall not herein be named, regularly considers unfamiliar music for distribution on his much admired and culturally venerable record label. I offered him a copy of current rough mixes of my hard-to-finish solo instrumental CD, but he declined to take it. "I don't care for the sound of the instrument." I don't blame him for expecting an album of too-clever song parodies sung weedily over brontosaurian plunking, or expecting a folio of undistinguished original compositions played blindingly in a shredding paradiddle like the crazy drumsticks-on-the-bass-fiddle antics of Big Noise From Winnetka. What if it was just music, great tunes, played with just a little finesse, and no baloney? Maybe he'll listren to it once I get it out.

Steven Strauss - Speevey (From upcoming CD "UKEBOX")

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home